This has ended. If you attended, let the organizer know by recording your Impact!
Send Silence Packing is Active Minds’ exhibit of stories and backpacks that aims to inspire action
for suicide prevention, connect viewers to mental health resources, and jump-start action. Send
Silence Packing catalyzes conversations in a way that contributes to a community’s overall
positive climate for mental health. This emotionally powerful exhibit is presented by Active Minds,
the nation’s leading nonprofit organization supporting mental health promotion and education for
students. Active Minds continues to collect backpacks and personal stories from families and
friends whose lives have been touched by suicide and passersby are invited to walk among the
Send Silence Packing backpacks to see the photographs and read the stories attached to them. We
each have a part to play. By learning more about suicide, speaking out, and changing the
conversation about mental health from one dominated by stigma and ignorance to one of support
and understanding, we can all save lives.
Volunteering? What you will be doing:
A. Set up of the display in the morning (7:30am-9am)
- Greeting the Send Silence Packing truck and Active Minds staff
- Unloading backpacks and materials from truck
- Laying out backpacks on the display location
- Displaying materials and interactive components (handouts, flyers, brochures) on the Active Minds table and securing them with paperweights as needed
- Setting up the “Send Silence Packing” banner stands, banner and tent
Wondering if you should register to volunteer? Based on the CDC guidelines, we are asking you the following questions:
- Have you been exposed to someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19? See the CDC’s risk assessment guidance.
- Do you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19? Symptoms can include a cough or shortness of breath or at least two of the following: Fever, Chills, Repeated shaking with chills, Muscle pain, Headache, Sore throat, New loss of taste or smell. See the CDC’s symptom information.
13 Positions Filled | 11 Impacts | 17 Hours