*This is a Red Cross volunteer opportunity, please read the following carefully to join and support evacuees!
The Red Cross is continuing to deliver round-the-clock services to those in need, and we need your help. Multiple shelters are anticipated to open in our area for those evacuated from the Caldor Fire and volunteers are needed to sign up for shifts to support shelter operations. Volunteers will help with the registration of people coming into the shelter, distribute food and supplies, and be a positive force in the shelter for those displaced.
Let's help our local community and support disaster relief for the Caldor Fire!
How do I sign up? Please read the steps below.
STEP 1: CLICK HERE to create your account in Volunteer Connection (Volunteer management system for the Red Cross).
· Registration takes less than 10 minutes to complete.
· Select "Apply Now" under "Shelter Volunteer." Enter your zip code, click Shelter Volunteer, and select "Apply Now" again.
· Create your account in Volunteer Connection by entering your name, zip code, email address, and password.
STEP 2: Verify your Volunteer Connection account.
· Choose to receive your instant verification code by email or text message.
· After you receive the verification code, enter it in the space provided.
STEP 3: Read and agree to the Red Cross policies by clicking on the titles, reviewing each policy, and checking the box to confirm that you have reviewed them.
· Code of Business Ethics and Conduct
· Confidential Information and Intellectual Property Agreement
· Information Release
· Volunteer Handbook
STEP 4: Initiate your background check.
Verify your information and submit the background check request. The Red Cross requires all volunteers 18 years old or older to complete a background check for the safety of all volunteers and clients.
STEP 5: Log into Volunteer Connection and sign up for a shift.
Volunteer Connection contains a calendar where you can sign up for a shift that aligns with your schedule. Once you sign up for a shift, you will receive an email confirmation with logistical details, safety information related to COVID-19, and information about any preparation you may need to do.
The Red Cross currently requires that you review their training/orientation videos available on volunteerconnection.redcross.org prior to working your shift to preview the work you may be doing and how to ensure safety for you, other Red Cross volunteers, and clients.
Just like the unpredictability of a disaster, the needs of this disaster operation often change and may affect the days/hours when volunteers are needed. We appreciate your flexibility, patience, and dedication as we help members in our community.
- Have you been exposed to someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19? See the CDC’s risk assessment guidance.
- Do you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19? Symptoms can include a cough or shortness of breath or at least two of the following: Fever, Chills, Repeated shaking with chills, Muscle pain, Headache, Sore throat, New loss of taste or smell. See the CDC’s symptom information.